Time for a little self-promotion…
Thrillpeddlers – San Francisco’s one-of-a-kind shock and horror theatre company – will be performing my short play “The Torture Of Cavaradossi” this week as part of their “Lovers and Other Monsters” Valentine’s Spectacular. My play features gothic chanteuse Jill Tracy as an opera-obsessed prostitute who re-enacts the famous torture scene from Puccini’s opera “Tosca” with a client. Hilarity ensues when a couple of escaped lunatics get tangled up in the elaborate charade.
“Lovers and Other Monsters” happens February 12 – 17, 2008 at The Hypnodrome, 575 10th Street, San Francisco. (MAP) Tickets are $20 each, or $69 gets you a private “Shock Box” for two. They can be purchased from Brown Paper Tickets.
The rest of the “Lovers and Other Monsters” program includes:
- Jill Tracy in concert with violinist Paul Mercer.
- Former Dead Kennedys frontman Jello Biafra and industrial music pioneer Monte Cazazza interviewed live by Re-Search publisher V. Vale.
- “Zombied” – Yusef Lambert’s classic zombie genre chomper played live before your very eyes! Directed by Russell Blackwood.
- “The Erotic World of Paris.” – Author Mel Gordon previews his upcoming book, the Parisian companion piece to his “Voluptuous Panic: The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin“.
- “The Music of Erich Zann” – H.P. Lovecraft’s haunting short story adapted for the stage and directed by Jonathan Horton with music composed and performed by Paul Mercer and featuring Eric Tyson Wertz. “Lights-Out” Spookshow!
…And much, much more! Visit the Brown Paper Tickets website for more details about which acts will be playing on which nights.
Russell Blackwood and I started Thrillpeddlers back in the 1990′s as an outlet for our interest in Grand Guignol theatre. Over the years we built up an impressive repertoire of classic Grand Guinol plays and original works in a similar style. Though I haven’t been involved in the operations of the company for a few years, I still contribute some writing. My play “Brush With Death” will be performed this spring (if I manage to get the re-writes finished).
If you’re in the Bay Area, not too squeamish, and looking for a unique Valentine’s experience, “Lovers and Other Monsters” is a show you won’t soon forget.